Pages

April 12, 2010

Project: Backyard walkway

This weekend Bear and I completed a project from start to finish. Can you believe it?! I know, I can't believe it either. But something I can't believe even more is that we didn't fight ONE TIME! I guess we have worked it out while discussing this project a million times over the last (at least) 4 years. So we knew the expectations before we got started.

This is what we tackled in the backyard. As you can see it needed some H-E-L-P.




We started by moving all the rocks out. And then we added a black rubber border and started leveling the dirt.

Then put down paper to prevent weeds and then we had to put all the big rocks back in. We only ended up with 2 big rocks that didn't fit. I thought that was pretty good!

And then we worked our butt off hauling in 5/8 inch pea gravel from the back of Bear's truck. He shoveled it into buckets and I hauled the buckets to the needed places. That is probably the biggest reason I can barely walk the last few days! I am still sore too.


And we have 1/4 of a yard of pea gravel left over... sigh... anyone need any? Because it is currently riding in the back of Bear's truck. Probably not so good for the gas mileage.

Then to finish it off, even though we were tired, we went back to Lowes and got flowers and mulch to finish up the flower bed. It looks pretty nice if I say so myself!!

Voila!







27 comments:

  1. WOW. Color me impressed! That looks great!! Wanna come to my house? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome! Can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks Amazing! We totally nee to do that. we basically had the same thing maybe worse! but this project will help! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Do you hire out?? Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice job on the walkway. I know it was a lot of hard work, but worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't get the pictures to show. Only "X"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, just wondering how long the walkway is and how much pea gravel you used. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hired a guy (company) and the results looked like your start picture. So disappointed...yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the walkway is about 12 feet long. I want to say we got a half yard of pea gravel and still had plenty left!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look's fabulous...we too have attempted something like this from deck to pool, still to be completed before summer is back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fabulous. We're in our 70's so I doubt we will be attempting this. We sure could use it though as a path to the chicken lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What kind of paper was used? And how is the drainage?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome job. Looks great. Saved the to Pocket app on my phone. Gonna make this a weekend project soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW,...Wish I was in my 20-30's,....HA HA HA HA,...Enjoy your Beautiful Labors,....Outstanding Job,...This will encourage others,...As well..........

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks beautiful..wondering how long it will last? Will the gravel get washed out?? Will it shift??

    ReplyDelete
  15. what kind of paper did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The paper actually looks like Landscapers Fabric which in this case is much better. Drainage shouldn't be an issue from the looks of it and most of the gravel should stay in place once it settles. Now if I could only find the energy you kids have to undertake such a project.

    Excellent job by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks wonderful and will fit in with our rustic elements already in place. Can't wait to start the pathways to driveway and through the garden beds. Thanks for your great project instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks very nice. We are too old to do this but I applaud your efforts. Saw someone had busted up their concret walk way and did this with all the chunks. At least you didn't have to bust up the walk...( hahaha.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always wanted to do this in my backyard, it looks great. I'm 74 and not in the best of health , in my mind , it's doable. Beautiful, good job

    ReplyDelete
  20. very very well done ! once saw a huge pile of slabs of concret that someone had discarded from a driveway and wanted to do this but could not grt anyone to pick it up and haul it for me - now I rergret not trying harder. Beautiful job !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now you need to get that grass green and paint the fence and it'll look good.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks great and is on my bucket list. I had planned to do mine similar, but with no truck. I pick up supplies each time I go to home improvement till eventually I will have most of it. Hope mine looks as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wonder if you could use this as a small turnaround driveway??? We live in Florida and could replace some of the lawn with this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How has the path held up, no weeds. Can you post another picture of it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. totally fabulous!!!!! We need to build a walk going down a small hill from back door. We have alot of slate rock to use. Was pea gravel expensive?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments ;-)