July 25, 2008
However, it is FRIDAY and I just want to go home.
And today is food day so I also want to go home to get away from all the food. I used to like food day but now it kinda puts me in a bad mood. It is just not fun anymore.
1) I don't feel like cooking for such a large group
2) we have groups for main dish, breakfast, dessert, ect. and sometimes I do not feel like making something that fits in my group (and the one time I was a rebel in didn't follow orders I brought the exact same thing as someone else)
3) I don't need to eat ALL DAY and it is really, really, really hard not to do that when the food sits outside my cube.
4) It is always at the end of the month when I have no extra money.
But everyone else loves it so I guess I am the only fuddy duddy in the bunch.
Tonight a bunch of my highschool girlfriends are coming into town. We are going out to Ninfa's for dinner. It should be fun, it usually is. I always just have a wierd anticipation when I get together with them. I think it is a mix of guilt for never talking to alot of them anymore and then also just thinking will they still like me? Stupid, really, because then we get together and have a good time. And it is not like I purposely avoid them or that they do that to me either. But I still have an awkward feeling about it sometimes.
Sunday I am going to be a baptism sponsor for one of my friends little boys. I have never done that before. It should be interesting. I hope she does not ask me to hold him during the process! I don't know who the other sponsors are going to be.
Bear is going to San Antonio for a coaching clinic this weekend. I just wish it was not so far away. Gas it too expensive! But at least everything else is paid for... for once by the school.
Well this took up a few minutes of my time. Now I am going to see if I can sneak out early...
July 19, 2008
Bear started not to feel good during the meal, we were all guessing it the was possibly the energy drink... We walked down Bourbon scoping things out for the next day and headed back to the hotel.
Thursday morning we slept a little late. We all got going and ready by about 10:30, almost lunch, but we of course wanted to visit Cafe Du Monde. So we headed over there and had beignets and cafe a laut all around. It was so YUMMY! Even better than I remembered. Then we began exploring. We went down to the French Market, which now has a fancy covered pavilion type place with bathrooms and a business office. And we went by The Gazebo Cafe and picked up a few ice cream daiquiris. They are SO good, but very filling.
It was SOooo HOt! And somehow I had lost my pony tail holder at breakfast. We went in the bar to cool off for a while. Luckily, Dee found an extra pony tail holder for me!!! YAY!
Next, we wanted to go to the Garden District so we went all the way down to walk along the River. We heard what we thought was someone playing a recorder, you know like the one's you get in 5th grade music class? But really loud! It turned out to be a River Boat playing with the steam whistles.
We took the St. Charles Street rail car into the Garden District and went on a walking tour we found online. Jason and Bear were our tour guides. The houses were beautiful, but we were getting so HOT and we had to go to the bathroom and we were getting hungry. While Dee and I were appreciative, we told the boys we had been there done that and they were happy they wouldn't have to bring us back again. We passed a home owned by John Goodman and one owned by Nicholas Cage. The landscaping was beautiful as well as all the homes. Some were under construction and some were for sale. You don't get to go inside any of them so next time we said that we want to pretend we are in the market so we can go inside!!!
We went back to the hotel to rest and shower. Once we were revived, we headed out to have some fun. We had dinner at the Crescent City Brewhouse. It was good food once again. Then we were off to various bars for the rest of the evening.
Then we went to the Old Absinthe House. The beer there was skunky to say the least. Either skunky, or definitely NOT what I ordered. We were in and out.
Next we went to the Hotel Monteleone and sat in the Carousel Bar. It was actually moving!! Not fast, but still moving. The bartender was staying in one spot and we were going round and round. Very cool!
Then we all had one more beer on the balcony of the Jazz Emporium.
On the way back to the hotel we stopped Daisy Dukes for breakfast. DO NOT ASK. It was food and we needed it. They were open all night. And yes, the girls dressed accordingly. I remember feeling like I was eating at Mel's Diner in Giddings like we used to do when we had late nights in high school!
Needless to say were not moving too terribly fast on Friday. We all felt fine, but sleeping in felt great. We didn't get going until around 11 so we skipped Cafe Du Monde and went straight to lunch. We had gumbo at Court of Two sisters and then shopped on Royal Street. We found alot of cool art places, and while I love the style of all of the NOLA art, I can't afford it. Maybe one day. We had another snack later that afternoon at The Gazebo and listened to some live music. Then we went back to shopping again. While Bear and Jason finished up looking at some places, Dee and I headed to a bar to sit down for a while. Our legs hurt so bad! And again it was hot so we decided to go back to the hotel and shower and rest up again.
But on our way back, we were finally able to stop at Napoleon House Bar. We had tried several times and it was always closed and we couldn't figure out WHY! So we stopped in and had a drink.
Once we all had some energy again, we went to Harrah's to get a free drink we had acquired earlier. Then we went to The House of Blues for their happy hour specials and live music. It was really neat! I had not been before and I will definitely go back. Next, we made a stop at Red Fish Grille so the boys could have oysters. Red Fish is one of our favorites but it is a little pricey. But they had really great, guess what, Red Fish! Then we tried to go to dinner at a place that Aunt D suggested but they were not open anymore and it was only 9! So we ended up at The Original Pierre Maspero's. It was really, really good. Or what I had was. It was Shrimp Remoulade that will never forget!!!
I didn't take any pictures of the third evening or Saturday ... not exactly sure why! I guess I was tired or something...
Saturday we didn't sleep to late. We had to go to the Casino and gamble our 30 minutes to get our car out of the garage for free. It turned out, that we only had to gamble 30 minutes on the day we needed to get it out of the garage and not 30 minutes per day as we originally thought. Then we loaded up and had one last meal at Mother's. Then we had to be on our way back home.
It was a very fun, much needed and much appreciated vacation. And while we did several new things, the great thing is there is always more to do when we go back!
July 18, 2008
Until then, I am stuck here at work. Amazingly, I can still get to blogger as management picked this week to lock down all outside websites. Ah, the joy of working with people who can't act like adults on a regular basis. And therefore ruin it for everyone. This is me sticking my tongue out at you, as most of you are all older than me, and therefore should know to act PROFESSIONAL.
July 8, 2008
I have done alot in the past 2 days though. And I am tired. I am sore. I can barely move. But darn it, I got everything done that I wanted to do.
- I weeded the flower bed. (I wanted to mulch it too, but I am saving that for a day my husband can lift the bags for me. Wimpy, wimpy, wimpy.)
- I vacuumed out the truck. I did a half ass job but Bear made a MESS of that thing. HE can clean it up.
- I vacuumed out the car, windexed the windows and washed the outside. AND even vacuumed out the trunk too. Downside was 20 minutes after I finished, it rained.
- I organized the file cabinet and shredded old documents. I signed up for paperless billing for utilities and phone stuff. I don't need those piles of paper now do I? I had been holding on to things from 2003!!!
- I also cleaned up the guest bedroom.
- I ironed things that had been sitting there for ever.
- I got all the clothes washed.
- I cleaned the entire kitchen. Not even any dishes left on the counter to "dry".
- I mopped the whole house.
- I called the extension office to ask about our dead tree. They are coming next Tuesday.
- I mowed the football field and got really sunburn. It looks very special since I was wearing a tank top.
- I ran errands: mailed stuff, went to the bank, had change counted at bank, went to Ssteinmart to return things and went to Walmart.
Still a few things I wish I had done:
- Mulching the flower bed.
- Get a hair cut and highlight.
- Get oil changed and tires rotated and balanced on the car. It can wait until we get back from NOLA (or that is what we think anyway, we have roadside assistance if something happens)
- Organize pictures and buy negative protectors. I actually was about to order some stuff online, but then I decided not too. For another day...
Next, I need to pack and get ready for our trip. I have kept myself busy so I haven't really been thinking about it enough to get excited. But I am excited... I am sure I won't be able to sleep tonight... I really feel like a nap RIGHT NOW but since I usually have sleep issues anyway when I stay somewhere else, I guess I better skip it. I still have to wash my hair, shave and paint my toes. Then I have to pack everything. That will probably take me the next 2 hours until Bear gets home. And I will probably still make us late somehow.
YAY for VACATION!!!